Wednesday, August 24, 2011

The choice to homeschool...

To homeschool... It still makes me nervous.
I'm not a homeschooling kind of mom.
Don't get me wrong... I have lots of patience, and I've always been great with kids.
My children are well behaved, and don't make me feel like I want to pull my hair out (although there are times).
But the idea of trying to educate my kid is, well for lack of a better description, slightly frightening.
With the help of a friend I met through WTE 5 years ago,
I was able to find, what seemed to me, the most helpful information and resources to aid
in our decision making process.
I decided on the curriculum my friend was using for her son.
It's called Letter of the Week.
It's a cheap($10), downloadable curriculum that consists of a full 26 week core program for preschoolers, and has a lot of material for making puzzles and other games that seem to be modeled after games that cost $10-$20 at Lakeshore.  Be prepared to buy a printer, because there is A LOT of material and it would cost hundreds of dollars to get it printed up at Kinkos.
(I almost choked when I realized that A-D cost me $76!)
There's also a lot of cutting and laminating involved, but in the end you do save money.
There is also a K-4 curriculum.

We started homeschooling about 3 weeks ago.
But you know, stuff happens, so we will hopefully get to day 13 tomorrow.
I couldn't be happier with the curriculum we chose. :D
Destiny has gone from not recognizing any letters, to recognizing half of them, and we're only on week B! We have gone on a few field trips that were amazing and cheap.


I will post more about our homeschooling experience up to now tomorrow.
For now, I'm going to join the fambam, and watch the end of Shrek2 before sending the kiddos off to bed, and catching up on some Greys Anatomy with the hubby(or as WTE junkies say, DH).  ;)
GN fellow mommies!



No comments:

Post a Comment